Saturday, November 21, 2015

The refrigerator and Thanksgiving meal plans

We have a monstrosity of a refrigerator.  It barely fits into its space.  You would think perfect fit right?   Sure if you never want to take out the drawers and shelves for cleaning.  I had to get the EX to pull it out and turn it for me.  It was so bad that I am thinking the last time it was cleaned probably was back in 2010 when I last lived here.  It took me 3 hours to clean the thing due to the drawers needing to be soaked and lack of space to be able to set them all up. 

How in the world can you put fresh produce on crap.  Can you imagine the bacteria? 

The plus side of cleaning out the refrigerator is I can now plan the menu for Thanksgiving.  My plan is to use as much of the items that we already have.  You heard of pantry meals? 

A pantry meal is usually a month long where a person challenges themselves to only cooking from what they already have on hand with only buying the absolute basic perishables such as milk, bread, eggs and such. 

So my plan is to plan a pantry Thanksgiving.  We have a turkey that has been in the freezer since last year.  There is some spinach and brussel sprouts in the freezer, also some dinner roll dough.  I had not gone through the deep freeze yet and I am sure I will find more.  We have a few potatoes, carrots, lots of canned fruits and such.  I believe I can pull this off without buying much more than onions. 

Turkey and dressing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Roasted brussel spouts, sweet potatoes and onions
creamed spinach with French onions?
glazed carrots
Pinto Beans? Thinking about cooking a pot of them tomorrow.
pumpkin roll or pumpkin pie

I would normally have more but its just the 3 of us and I would not want too many leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment